Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Day 4 - Induction Day 2

Hey!! Before I go on about today let me show you a video that I took of the street in Gurgoan! Keep in mind that this part of the city is one of the more built up areas in India ;) enjoy.



Now as for today. It wasn't much actually, we woke up and headed out to the office building. Listened to some presentation about how Bharti grew from a very small company started with importing electrical generators in from Japan and all. Now they are the highest market share Telecom operator in India. They now operate within all of 23 circles within India and provide mobile coverage within all of the provinces in India. There is no other private telecom operator that provides this range of coverage in India.

Anyways then we were free for lunch and relax since they have already briefed us on some things the day before so we have almost 3 hours to spare by eating, playing a bit of table tennis, and talking. OH!!! We also went to see our cubicle XD it was interesting actually. I took a video to show what it looks like:



I think it's quite cozy since all of us from SMU are stationed there in the same place. So after that we went to another Bharti Airtel building to meet with the Managing Director of the Airtel Mobile division, Sanjay Kapoor. He's a nice man, answered all our questions about the Mobile sector and what challenges and opportunities that Bharti has for the future.

Bharti is the biggest outsourcing Telecom operator in the world. No other telecom providers outsource as much as Airtel. Everything that was not their core competency was managed by another company: their call center, most of their network infrastructure (this by Nokia, Ericsson, and another company which I can't recall XD), their IT, etc. Now their biggest challenge is to manage growth as they have grown so much so fast that managing the growth and keeping the company functioning as a unit has been tough. If they are to continue to grow they must be able to manage it well and take care of their system and employees.

Anyways after all the talking and listening, we got off work at 4+ and came back to the guest house at around 4:30 or 5.

Oh yeah... there's like 10 blackouts today... wonderful... I swear the aircon will break one day and I'll cook in this room...

Tomorrow we will be getting our projects, I hope I get something exciting! >_< *prays hard* Will be getting the sim card tmr as well, then I can make international calls at 30 cents a minute and they subsidize the first 100 dollars or so! XD that's kinda good I guess :P but the rest I still have to pay myself, lol.

1 comment:

ting said...

gosh! you sound like you are writing a report introducing bharti! Lol. looks like they brainwash you quite well :p

ting