Friday, May 25, 2007

Day 7 - Thank God It's Friday

Ok I DID say I was gonna blog at around 12+ India time, but I didn't get a chance to really XD haha so I'll blog now.

About my project I just got yesterday, it's all about the Web Portal Strategy for the Customer Portals. Basically Airtel has 4 different departments which used to be separate entities within the Bharti group of companies: Mobility Department, Broad Band and Telephone services, and Enterprise Services. Each has its own portal and their own URL. Now they are all grouped under the AirtelWorld web portal, however the portal basically points back to the individual websites. There are no standardization between any of the separate sites on the layout, the GUI, or even the username and password.

So my job here is to come up with ways to standardize these sites as well as a plan of how to merge all of these services together as now they are grouped under the same company. They would like the portal to be more user-friendly as well as efficient in what it does. The customer should only have one bill even if he/she subscribes to 2 or 3 of Airtel services. Currently the customer will be given 3 separate bills for Mobile, Broadband, and Telephone. This is highly inefficent and very troublesome for the customer. I'm supposed to come up with a plan on what needs to be standardized in the frontend as well as backend. If I could also come up with extra and new features that will make the site more user-friendly then that would also be a plus.

So that's the scope of my project... until this morning. I met with my boss's boss, Ms. Meenakshi, and discussed the project. Now I have more than one portal on my hand, lol. I'm now looking at the WAP portal, the Supplier Portal, the B2B portal as well as the content partner portal for Airtel. LOL, I was kinda shocked but I can define my own scope, so that's fine, I'll probably choose to do something that I can finish in time. At the end, whatever recommendation and proposals I make will be taken up and implemented by the company, which is kinda cool.

I also just got back from a 2 hour meeting that didn't have anything to do with my project, lol. It's kinda interesting to sit in this one since it was an SE kind of project meeting, but a real one XD I think it was more disorganized and less systemized than the SMU ones. It's kinda fun.

Now I'm back to my desk and continuing work on my PowerPoint presentation on my project to present on Monday to another person involved in the project... I think it's my boss's boss's boss...Mr. Jai. (I can't put anybody's full names here since I'm scared they search for their names on Google, lol. Just in case.)

After work I think we're all going shopping for sweets... I'm sweet deprived at work... I NEED RICOLA!!!!! >_<

No comments: